Aleph's

Aleph's
View from my village...

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Book Review: I AM MUSLIM by DINA ZAMAN

Book Cover

I have always loved to read, and really I don’t mind spending on it. Walking about in Borders (Queensbay), I stumped onto Dina Zaman’s I AM MUSLIM. First glance doesn’t really beat, but when I skim through few pages, I have to admit myself “The content isn’t like other contemporary book, this one is different – she is dare enough!”

It took me nearly two weeks to finish reading it (with pen to mark paragraphs which I think interesting) while absorbing, thinking and comparing to the “Islamic world” that I knew (and I grew with). Well, I myself caught busy with few things and can only spend an hour or two before sleep to read through few pages.

Dina was daring enough to challenge some issues that no other writer wants to write about. I have been reading many books on Islamic issues (and I also subscribe to monthly magazine, namely majalah-i), but none wanted to put in the issues of gay in Islam, Malay-Muslim or Muslim-Malay and many other.

Interestingly to quote,

"Sister, you Malaysian always ask the same thing,” she smiled, “Islam is international, and your sisters come in all colours. The important thing is that we pray to the same God. Why are our styles of praying, clothing, hijab, ablution so important to you?” (Page 53)

“…Look, I’m not like some straight men who marry women even though they are either impotent or unable to have sex with their wives. I don’t lie. I don’t do all the bad things.” (Page
107)

“We’re so concerned about Hell, we’ve forgotten Heaven.” (Page 181)

“For as long as I have God and my prayers, I know that one day, we will be together.” (Page 198)

“The trouble with us Malays… we have too many traditions and adapt. We can’t do this, we’re Malays, we must do that, we’re Malays. Oh, we pray better than everyone else. We’re better than the Arabs, the Chinese Muslims, we’re Malaysia Boleh! Islam is not a difficult religion to
practice. But our imams! They make it harder for us to go on with our lives.” (Page 201)


People keep on asking me not to read this kind of book, for I might astray from the “true path”. I think the Malay still have the mentality of “Don’t ask” and the “I am better than you” attitude.

When we do something, then this Malay (who looks and acts piously) will condemned at first hand. “Oh that is bad”, “That is rugi laa”, and many other negative views. Been there, breathe those words!

I am not saying that we need to change, but we need to progress Muslim to another level, that we don’t have to put label or branding too much in our lives. Since Islam is about good things and peace – I don’t think we need specific things only for Muslim. Why don’t we have one brand that says fit for Muslim and even non-Muslim and don’t segregate too much – otherwise it all becoming Adat & Budaya (local cultures and traditions).
I don’t want to say that we change drastically, but give chance for us to open our Muslim mind to look broader, instead of tiny things to deal with. Be dare to ask and be dare to respect opinions.

If you haven’t read this book, rush to your nearest book store and secure one. Kak Dina, your book really has an impression on me and yes, I am passive Muslim who lives in the world of don’t-ask-but-follow-only. Thank you for a great writing and may Allah gives you His blessing. Amen…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sister in islam sorta....i feel sorry for her