Aleph's

Aleph's
View from my village...

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My New Baby - Another Toy!

OK.. I am heavily downloading from Rapidshare, even I put my PC to act as server to dedicate downloading files from RS server. I have been using RS ever since it was know to internet user, while I was in USM (at that time, was not blocked).

Last September, I bought one year package, so it seems like a little crazy and feeling nausea sometime learning that I am downloading so many things. Heck!

Mostly, I would download movies and series, which updated weekly. So, the server needs to run almost everyday - so, just imagine my electricity bills.

Since using RS to download files, I had bought two IDE hard disks - 250GB and 400GB each after I can't burn them all the files into DVD anymore.

This month, I have to buy new hard disk to accommodate more files that being downloaded everyday.

Went to a computer shop, and the largest space they have is like 1TB (or 1000GB). Unfortunately available as SATA which my PC won't be able to support it. Therefore, I need to buy a mobile case that house it.

Learning that I may need more room if I ever (of course I will) buy new hard disk - I chose the casing that allows two SATA hard disks to sit next to each other.

Let's look at my new baby...

My baby in action.

It got powered up during power testing.
As you can see, it can accommodate two disks.
Seagete Barracuda 7200, 1000 Gigabytes

I named the disk as Arynthian. See how large it is!

I have never expected space to be at this size way back in 1998. During my school days, the largest disk space I have ever seen was 500MB (way back in 1997 and 1998 but now, my pendrive is 8 times larger). My sister's PC was only 4GB (2000).

My first PC has only 20GB (2002), before I upgraded new disk, stands at 80GB (2003).

I used to learn to calculate the cost of the space from an old PC management book. Years ago, during the early days of PC, disk space is scarce and expensive.

So, I calculated the cost. The SATA 1TB disk costs me RM410 and RM155 for the casing. So, using simple straightforward calculations, 1GB would cost me RM 0.41 (41 sen) or RM0.57 (57 sen) should I consider its casing.

Compare it to 20GB that cost me around RM300 in 2002. RM15 for 1GB - how does this sounds to you.

Let's wait for year 2018 and check the price again!



(Sorry to put up numbers, I am mathematician who has great interest when it comes to financial calculations but happened to be a software engineer)

M. Shahirasul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so how much is it??